Have you always been curious about the plugins’ image caption feature? We did. We’ve used Alpine Photo Tile for Picasa and Google+ for our project welt kopfunter for quite a long time. And we discussed to replace this plugin because of the missing image caption support. So, I decided to have a closer look on it.
Update 23/Nov/15: My latest patch 184.108.40.206-patch1 works with Wordpress 4.3.1 on our sites.
The development and maintenance of this very good plugin stopped some months ago. You can read the author’s comment to this on his contact page. He is taking a break to work on his engineering thesis.
Image caption feature
Firstly, I had a look on the G+ image RSS feed to find out, if there is more information about the images available. And yes, I found the description of an image as summary, directly after the title in the stream.
I expect the summary element to be an intelligent information about the image’s description, where ever it’s stored. With this information, it was quite easy to extend the image properties in the plugins’ image cache.
Secondly, I’ve extended the ‘Plugin Settings’ with three options:
- title (prefix if filename) – the old default, removes also ‘JPG’ suffixes from filenames
- caption (or none) – use image summary / description or nothing if not available
- caption (or title) – use image summary / description or title, if summary is empty
Finally, I’ve tested the changes locally (WP 4.0.1) and on our blog (WP 3.9.3) and I was quite happy to see the description appearing in thumbnail mode.
I was also pleased to see the image caption in image detail mode.
I cared about image filenames some years ago, but nowadays I always use image description for my photos. With image descriptions you are able to add more interesting details to your blog article. I realized that, because this feature was missing in the plugin so far.
So, you can have a look on the new functionality on this page, using 5 Google+ galleries:
Because this patch is not available at the official WordPress plugin download site, you have to install the patched zip manually. For this follow these steps:
- download the patched plugin here (alpine-photo-tile-for-picasa-and-google-plus_220.127.116.11-patch1)
- remove the old version 1.2.6.x from your plugin list as admin (your settings still remain in database)
- upload manually the new plugin zip file version 18.104.22.168-patch1 in the plugins menu
- activate the plugin and check out the old and new settings
- enjoy 😉
Please leave a comment, if you have an problems with other versions / plugins, or even if you like it!